Defiance Fish and Game Association

Lubriplate FMO 350-AW oil and SFL-0 slide grease

• normslee
  • normslee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Norman Sleesman
More
5 years 2 months ago #49 by normslee
I was checking my weapons in my gun cabinet a few months ago and discovered a little rust on the barrel of my Henry. That did it. Even keeping my well oiled rifles and pistols in a metal gun cabinet in my own bedroom wasn't enough to prevent surface rust. Time to find out more information on gun oils and slide grease.

The products I chose are made by Lubriplate. They can be found at www.lubrikit.com

The first job of any lubricant is to "prevent wear". The second job is to "prevent corrosion".

Lubrikit's Lubriplate FMO 350-AW oil
"If we were to spec out a "best in class" oil, it would be Lubriplate's FMO-AW oil, specifically the 350-AW weight. This is an oil designed with very high boundary protection and very high corrosion resistance - especially in the presence of acids, alkalis, and moisture. It is darned near tailor-made for our use!" - Quoted from Grant Cunningham's "Lubrication 101"

Lubrikit's Lubriplate SFL-0 Grease:
Lubriplate grease has been well known for many years to be a fantastic firearm lubricant.
Used by the military, it was issued for use on the M14 rifle (Civilian version is the M1A).
With tighter tolerances on newer firearms the SFL series, specifically SFL-0 is the best.
Grant Cunningham, a well known professional gunsmith writes "For such things as autoloader slides and rifle bolts, Lubriplate "SFL" NLGI #0 grease is my choice. In testing, it has proven itself superior as a general lubricant. It is white, aluminum-based, low odor, has superb boundary lubricants, and is designed specifically for use in environments that encounter a huge temperature range (-40F to 300F). It's also resistant to water washout and acid/alkali environments, has great shear resistance, and doesn't oxidize like lithium greases will. As an all-around grease I've found nothing better."

I use the "Lubrikit SFL-0 Grease and Oil Kit" consisting of 2x 15cc sryinges of Lubrikit SFL-0 grease + 4oz Bottle of FMO-350 AW oil. Product Code: 1020. Sells for $16.95. Not cheap but works very, very well

One tip on using the slide grease: Use just enough to make the slide lube points look wet. That all you need.

Second tip: Most of the gun oils you buy from large retail stores are based on Crisco oil. That's right, Crisco oil. That doesn't do much to protect your weapon from moisture although it will provide some short term lubrication.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.